Sunday, June 26, 2005

Chronicles of my cross - Freedom of Religion.

My first deployment after the 9/11 attacks was to Germany. I was lucky, I got to do my job, far from the front, but I was reminded everyday of what was at stake as each day a new transport came in bearing the flag draped coffins of my fallen comrades. It was a real eye opener. I was glad to have my faith to get me through it.

But I noticed over and over again all the little differences between Europe and America, everywhere I went. In Germany, EVERY Christian and government holiday is observed. In fact May has so many, that they joke about when their next day "on" is, rather than their next day "off". Everyone closes their shops and businesses (except the restaurants) and they celebrate the holiday. It is expected, to do otherwise is unheard of.

The first thing that came to my mind when I first encountered this was, "This would never go over well in America, no shopping on a holiday? Isn't that what holiday's are for?" The people there think nothing of it, they know no other way, and there is no use in complaining, all they will say is, "well that's the way it is".

I remember this every time someone attacks religion here in our country, and I think, if you don't like things here, move to Germany. I wonder how many would?